Saturday, June 25, 2011

Irving Place

I have been kind of dreading going to this location for a while because every single time I walk by it looks so crowded it gives me anxiety.  I finally swallowed my pride (and a Xanax!  oh....damn I wish that were true...) and attacked it head-on.

This gym is great for the overworked Union Square business professional.  It is indeed busy and I went during an off-time.  First floor is the entrance-way (hardly a lobby), all of the cardio equipment, the main studio, and a small stretching area.  Downstairs is the men's locker room and the cycling studio.  Upstairs is everything else (free weights, machines, etc).  I have absolutely no clue where the women's locker room is.  They may not even have one for all I know, or it was clearly labeled and I just simply missed it.

The problem with this gym, besides looking like it was painted in the mid-90's, is everything seems just a touch outdated and overused.  I did not have to wait for a machine upstairs but it still had that "erratic" feeling to it.  Maybe because it's a smaller space overall?  But the ceilings were so high!

The locker room was cramped (old-school dark wood lockers) and maze-like.  Showers were fine, sauna, steam room.  Just a little small and a general sense of "busy."  And there were a few more gays than expected...and the girls all seemed like they were in shape and moderately attractive on the average.  There was quite the eclectic mix though, including a blind guy and a guy in a wheelchair.

Those were firsts for me.

My grade: C+