Saturday, June 18, 2011

14th & 5th - Union Square

Welcome to the gym that started this whole shindig.  'Twas here I decided to explore new locations after working out with my meat-head friend who walked around and socialized.  This was the shining beacon on a cold winter's day, the early blossom on a spring morning, the cool breeze over a picturesque lake on a humid summer's eve.  'Twas here.

So this place is pretty gay.  I had been here before and each and every time it's just as gay.  A nice mix of people though - fit gays, older people (who probably have unbelievably nice rent controlled apartments in the Union Square area), and a few fit/attractive girls.  There seemed to be plenty of cute girls in the trampoline-aerobics class going on when I visited.

It's all one floor.  I love this aspect.  Even though two full walls (north and south) are full of windows in-between is pretty dim.  I don't really need to explain where everything is because this location is the easiest to navigate out of any that I have been to.  You walk up, it's all right in front of you, and the lockers are on the far wall.  There is a cycling and a studio, plenty of cardio, a small stretching area, two cable-fly systems, all the machines you would expect, etc.

The locker room was better this time around than the last time, maybe cause it wasn't rush hour.  You KNOW this place is gay for two reasons (I mean...besides being eye-banged by a number of people in the gym): 1) they have a sign on the steam room door saying "don't be inappropriate" and 2) the shower curtains are short.  VERY short.  They have plastic liners that go to the floor but the curtains stop around your knee/thigh area.  I can only assume this is so you can easily see just how many bodies are in each stall.

My grade: B