Friday, April 22, 2011

Water Street

I took a tour of the Water Street location in 2004 when I lived a mere 1 block away in the Financial District.  I have always wanted to go back and actually work out but it is very far from where I live (as in the farthest location in Manhattan from where I live) with limited hours.  Today was the day!  I DID notice that since I  moved out of the area, albeit many moons ago, the ugly Staples underneath my former building became a new 24 hour Duane Reade and there is a Chipotle about 4 blocks away.  I strive not to be bitter.

A smaller facility, Water Street is neat and clean.  It is clearly catered toward the "Wall Street" type: early 30's or late 40's office workers.  The few early 30's kids that come are slightly concerned with weights ("I'll get ahead with a great ass and toned arms!") but the majority of the clientele ("I just want that new secretary to notice me.") are only interested in cardio.  Luckily it seems that this location realized you need to have a large stretching area if you have a large amount of people doing cardio -- there is plenty of space for this.  All of the cardio is on the ground floor with a grand, spacious stretching area and the main studio as well.

Downstairs are the locker rooms, cycling studio, and free weights.  Downstairs is, well, slightly confusing to get around.  There are little nooks and crannies and a few machines are tucked away behind many mirrors.  This part I did not enjoy.  It also took me about 30 minutes of searching around the mirrors to realize there must be a 3rd floor.  I was right!  That is where the rest of the machines, more free weights (thank the lord), and some more stretching areas live.

The locker room is a decent size although not in tip-top condition like the rest of the gym.  Oddly you have to climb a few stairs (handicap accessible) to get to the showers.  Steam room and sauna galore, plenty of showers, nothing too exciting.

And yes, they had Kleenex.  It's still "awkward weather" phase in NYC and the drippy nose is inevitable when you go from cool to warm.  Don't judge.

My grade:  B+