Saturday, April 9, 2011

91st and 3rd

This club was recommended to me by a few people, I think mainly because it has a pool (FREAKOUT!).  I did not particularly love the club although I can see why it would appeal to those UES folks.

It is the STRANGEST looking NYSC I have been to thus far.  It's like it is a standalone building.  I was so nervous walking across the courtyard, feeling all of the dog-walkers and botox-addicts staring at me.  The club is divided into two floors.  The top/ground floor has a small cycling studio, normal studio, and all of the cardio.  Oh and a streching area that can fit 3 slim people, 2 average people, or 1 fat person.  Luckily I wanted to use it when two other slim people were using it.  Otherwise I'dabeenpissed (new word).

Downstairs is everything else.  Free weights (cramped), machines, and the pool.  Downstairs was relatively dim, mainly due to a very low ceiling.  I checked out the pool; typical NY pool, on the smaller size.  The locker room was hotter than the surface of the sun and supposedly had a steam room/sauna/showers but I was too hot and gross to even look.  It wasn't busy in there which I guess is a good thing.  They had no Kleenex again.  Is there a budget crunch on Kleenex?  I NEED KLEENEX, DAMNIT.  It's a basic amenity!

The worst part about this facility (besides the decor and confusing "fun-house" styled mirrors) was the fact that because there was a pool there were children...everywhere.  It was straight out of a nightmare.  Upper East Side moms and their children learning to swim.  I almost stepped on one of "nature's miracles" more than once as they had light adult supervision and were playing around machines that carried hundreds of pounds of weights...and one bitchy gay guy.  Dangerous combination, parents.

My grade: C+