Sunday, April 17, 2011

115th and 5th

Him: Hey man, how's the fitness?
Me: The what?
Him: The fitness, man.  How's your workout treatin' ya?
Me: I'm...uh...doing my "thang" I guess.
Him: You want to take it to the next level?  You gotta push it.
Me: Oh like steroids?
Him: NO MAN!  Like personal training.  I can help you get to the next level.
Me: So...not steroids?
Him: Nah man, you don't need juice.  You need a coach!
Me: I'm broke.  Thanks though.

WELCOME TO 115th AND 5th!

So that's a real conversation that happened immediately upon changing and walking out to do abs.  I should clarify -- yes, he did work at the gym.  I think he was just bored.  But I'm not social at the gym and I was there for professional blogging research (HAHA) and clearly did not have time or energy to devote to entertaining/humoring this man.

This facility is a cross between E 23rd and 145th Street locations.  It's newer but smaller, well organized but a little cramped.  The upstairs is all the cardio (purple awnings are awesome) and downstairs is everything else. There is one studio downstairs which looked rather small.  There are plenty of machines and plenty of stretching areas.  The free-weight area was pretty wide as well.  Some of the equipment was a little squished together and dimly lit, but other than that the atmosphere was pleasant.

The locker room utilized pretty much the same design from 145th: the larger, wider lockers, less benches, and wide-but-still-using-curtains shower stalls.  No sauna or steam room (wah wah) although with the humidity it certainly felt like it (but seriously, how much do de-humidifiers cost?  So many gyms need them).  Luckily for everyone's safety this facility had Kleenex.  I would have cut a bitch if I went to yet ANOTHER NYSC with no facial tissue.  I was close to writing a letter.

I would avoid this place during the busier times.  The space isn't getting any bigger and the clientele isn't getting any more attractive.

My grade: B+