Monday, April 18, 2011

41st and 3rd

The entrance to this facility is quite lovely.  Fancy stainless steel in a high-rise building right on 3rd Avenue.  As I approached with pep in my step I walked through the revolving door and realized the complete deception I had just encountered, and immediately cussed (partly disappointed no children were around to cry as a result).  I descended the 2 flights of ugly, worn steps into the cellar deep below the city's surface.

Strangely it was a very bright location (and I still had reception!).  All one floor, this location definitely caters to the young business-types.  A studio and cycling near the entrance and all the cardio up front.  Plenty of stretching areas (yay!) albeit strewn amongst a very 90's decor (boo).  The weight area went back for much longer than expected - plenty of machines, a smaller free weights area, and all the standard (older) equipment.

The locker room was WAY too small for this location.  I'm sure since I was there during the busier time it was a little more crowded than usual, but still.  It was also oddly open - I felt like had I walked (hardly embarrassed) in the buff to the showers the whole lobby would have seen me.  Also because of the rush hour, it was a little messy.  I didn't check out the steam room or sauna but OH I wanted to.  No time, I say!

Here's the kicker about good ol' 41st and 3rd: straight girls GET HERE FAST.  You have the insensitive "only concerned about making money and working out" straight boys to the right (y'all love those guys...right?) and the sensitive "crazy hot, built, has a good job but is secretly gay" boys to the left (you can sleep with them and know when they don't call back it really ISN'T you, it's them!).  Lots of staring at me, but no one was about to make a move.  Not with their co-workers looking.

Had we been on W 23rd I would have a few numbers by the end of this visit.  Hello, Mr. Conceited!

My grade: B