Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Grand Central

I definitely forgot to look up the address for this location and just thought, "Oh well it's Grand Central.  Duh."  Got off the train, stepped outside, and realized I had NO idea where I was going.  I looked up on my phone really quick, apparently pulled up the 36th and Madison address, and obviously without any conscious thought began walking there.  It wasn't until a block away I convinced myself that 1) even by a long stretch, geographically this cannot be considered "Grand Central" and 2) I had definitely been there before.  I found the correct address got there quickly and began my workout.

LIES!  I did not (haha you fell for that one, suckers!).  The address is the MET LIFE BUILDING -- do you have any idea how large that building is?  There are like 1,700 entrances!  I had to ask a security guard where the hell I was going and his directions sucked...and he WORKED in the building!

I did finally arrive and the experience was an interesting mix.  The first floor is the entrance/lobby, the locker rooms, and LARGE AMOUNTS of dirty laundry bins.  Everything else is on the second floor (kind of making this a "one floor" gym).  I was not there at a peak time and this place was packed.  In addition, everyone was a gym rat; there were relatively few unfit people working out.  It had a nice punch of motivation/self-deprication.  The weight area is way too small for this facility considering.  The stretching area was fine, all the standard machines, etc.  Definitely enough cardio since this crowd seemed much more interested in free weights.

The locker room was large, albeit slightly confusing (kind of shaped like a jigsaw puzzle and I hate puzzles).  The locker room was also 1,000 degrees.  They had the good ol' "giant fan blowing in your face" set up as if circulating the air was a sufficient replacement for a/c.  Guess what?  It's not.

My grade: B-