Sunday, January 2, 2011

34th and 2nd

I had been warned that this location would easily get an E grade.  I was pleasantly surprised that it exceeded my expectations.  I had difficulty finding it since, as you can see, the awning is BLACK AND WHITE (ugh the inconsistencies are mind boggling sometimes) but I made it in OK and the guy working reception, who I believe was the general manager, gave very detailed directions as to where everything was located; this was the first time anyone has done so (please refer to my 73rd and Central Park West experience).

This smaller facility is made up of three levels.  The ground floor is just the lobby.  Bottom floor is the pool (POOOOL), locker rooms, studio, and the very small free weight area.  2nd floor is everything else.

The free weight area is very, very small.  The cable fly system is also in this area and I was staring at a door that said "CAUTION: CORROSIVE MATERIALS!" as I tried to work out my chest.  That felt healthy.

The entire facility smells of chlorine which is nice at first - in that childhood reminiscent sort of way - but then rather annoying by the end.  Almost everything is on the second floor - cardio (seemed to be a lot), machines, a smaller stretching area, and the cycling studio.  I have a feeling there is plenty of natural sunlight on the second floor but it was raining outside and the ceiling lighting is NOT good; it was dim and depressing with very low ceilings.  Not a place I would want to visit past daylight hours.

The locker room was surprisingly clean.  Only four shower stalls (the half upright bathtub/half tile kind) and the hot water took an embarrassingly long time to get going.  The cleanliness kind of makes up for all of that, even though a steam room and sauna were no where in sight.

And since it is Murray Hill, I was the only gay.  FML

My grade: B-