Sunday, July 24, 2011

125th Street - Harlem

I don't really know why it took me so long to get to this location.  It is convenient for me to get to and I have passed by it several times.  I was warned by one person that it was "gross," but I didn't have that experience.

OK entering is a little disconcerting.  You enter the lobby and face two large steel elevators.  Simlar to the Equinox in Columbus Circle your button options in the elevator are the lobby (ground floor) and the gym (4th floor).  I really did envision myself in the next Final Destination movie as the elevator slowly crawled, moaned, and clanked up to the 4th floor.

Upon my arrival it wasn't so bad though.  Decent light, spacious, all one floor.  Cardio is right at the entrance and seemed to be a sufficient amount.  What's nice about this location, and maybe it was just cause I went during an off time, was it seemed pretty spacious between machines.  There are two studios, a cycling studio, two cable fly systems, decent stretching area, and the general machines/weights.

The locker room was OK.  Not good.  Not vomit-inducing.  Plenty of showers (smaller locker area) and sauna and steam room.  My biggest complaint about the locker room was that the towels are not stacked inside the locker room but actually across the hall near the stretching areas.  Why?  Who thought this made sense?  Is it out of laziness?  I'm glad I noticed this upon entering so I prevented a temper tantrum when I went to go shower.

Oh!  and the clientele!  1/4 roided up thugs, 1/4 toned fitness girls, 1/4 ugly/old people, 1/4 gays.  And, yes, I did get a number.  After all of these visits, HARLEM is where I get my first "gym number?"  Really?  Here's how it went down:

Him: hey can I give you this?   Hands over a slip of paper.
Me: no I didn't drop anything.
Him: no, it's for you.
Me: looks at slip.  OH.  HAHAHAHAHA.  OH.  OK thanks!
Him: walks away.
Me: dialing mother.  Mom, guess what just happened to me...in Harlem.

My grade: B+